This website is for anyone interested in information concerning the Gheens Bon Mange' Festival, rentals of our Hall or the many events that take places at the Vacherie - Gheens Community Center every year.
Claude Joseph Dubreuil, Jr. purchased what is know today as Vacherie - Gheens from the Ouacha and Chaouacha Indians in the 1740's for twelve head of cattle. He named it La Vacherie meaning "Cattle Ranch". His plan was to furnish New Orleans' markets with beef.
In 1879 J.R. Gheens purchased a portion of Dubreuil's holdings. The Gheens family from Louisville, Kentucky was in the taffy business and needed a source of sugar for their product, so they bought the Gheens Plantation which is located in the back of Gheens. Here they would grow the sugarcane to produce sugar for their Taffy Plant back home.
In 1890 Gheens and his brother's incorporated GR Sugar and Cattle Co. The Post Office established on the plantation was called Gheens. When they bought the property, they traded cows to the meat market in New Orleans which was not a success because it took too long for the meat to cross the river. It was from this point on that they focused on only sugar.
The Vacherie - Gheens Community Center is dedicated to improving our community, 100 % of all proceeds collected from events is put back into the community and its center.
The Gheens Bon Mange' Festival was originally named the " Gheens Day Festival" and began in the early 70's behind St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Gheens. In 1973 it was moved to the Vacherie - Gheens Community Center grounds.
Since so much great food was being served every year, the board of directors decided to change the festivals name. In February of 1980 the VGCC Board change the Festivals name to the " Gheens Bon Mange' Festival" which means good food.
The final payment on the Vacherie - Gheens Community Center was made in September of 1991. A family dance was held in celebration as a way of saying " Thank You " to the community of Gheens for their support.
One of the people credited for getting the Center up and running was Mr. Gary Dominique. Our community park located behind our center is named after him.